Friday, August 31, 2012

Restaurant Review: Don Diego, Sutton Coldfield

Ala,

Don Diego's is an unassuming  gem! This was my second visit to my new local tapas bar. I have been raving about it ever since. It is in a bit of a doomed location in Sutton just of the main island next to ask. Before it was don Diego's the space has been host to an assortment of different restaurants but never have lasted very long. I really hope the curse has finally been lifted as it is honestly my favorite place in Sutton right now. The outside doesn't hint at the authenticity on offer here. But once inside all the familiar sounds and smells of Spain fill the air.  We were meeting friends but arrived early so got to prop up the bar and make the most of the Spanish beer on offer and the delicious olives. When our friends arrived we were quickly shown to our table, which was in the conservatory. The menu is extensive which means that it is often hard to pick what to have but on Wednesdays they offer 2 tapas for £5 so we each chose two plates.

This is what we had:

Chorizo in Rioja
Pork meatballs
Patatas bravas
Patatas alioli
Butter beans and chorizo
Pork skewers
Garlic chicken thighs
White bait

... and bread to mop up all the tasty juices!

For the wine, the boy chose MATSU 'El Picaro' you can read about it on the Wood & Wine blog here: http://t.co/zh86AKhU

It was so delicious we even had room for dessert, I shared Churros con chocolate with my fiancee.  I thought it was a little skimpy on the Churros  only two small curls, but the chocolate was delicious and after a large meal you didn't want much.  Anyway we had a great night and I think you would too!

Book yourself in! http://www.dondiegobirmingham.co.uk/index.php

Polly x